Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Not talking about the time change

It appears that perhaps after 6 months to a year, I'll have had the chance to show you a bit of last October's trip to Disney World. I do not exactly know why everything seems to take so long. As a person who has primarily lived life with a reasonable degree of crispness, it's hard for me to adjust to the idea that really wanting, really needing, really meaning to do something today often means that I might just have a moment to get to it within a month or so. The thank-you notes unwritten, sympathy notes not sent, the quilting, sewing, crafting projects awaiting attention.... I think I don't make lists anymore because of all the time it would take just to document the un-done, not to mention the depression it would instill.

But I take no small amount of comfort in knowing I am not alone, and this is just about the way we live, collectively.

If I had a magic wand, I'd wave it to make Ken's birthday wish come true. In case you were wondering. He turns 50 in August and would like to celebrate his birthday (drumroll, please) at...

...Disney World. The good folks at Disney will need to extend one or another of their special deals in order for us to make this work, and even then it's a bit of a long-shot. Of course we've been talking for a couple of years, really, about the fact that this birthday would be coming up; it has just taken Ken a long time to figure out his heart's desire. It makes me laugh, though, in a good way. I remember when "Paris" was the answer to that question, although perhaps it is best that times have changed since we couldn't make that wish come true right now anyway.

I sound blue, I know, but I don't mean it. Dean had a triumphant return to the soccer season last night with his first practice; his team has a new assistant coach from England who has played the game all his life. Dean was somewhat disappointed that the guy is for Birmingham and not Liverpool, but you can't win them all.

2 comments:

Felicia said...

I think Ken might enjoy it VERY much if you made him a special video. Here is a sample from a sweet lady's blog (her blog name is Some Pink Flowers): http://somepinkflowers.typepad.com/my_weblog/2009/02/birthday-.html

And here is where you can personalize it for him: http://www.sun7news.com/spread.php

sallymandy said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog and just had to comment how many similarities I see right off the bat in your first post. My husband is also almost fifty--a couple years off--and also chose last year to travel to Disney World rather than another vacation spot. He took our daughter because I'm really crabby and grumpy in crowds.

It looks like you also have one child? Or not..? I do. I always like "meeting" other parents of only children. If I got that wrong about you, apologies.

Thank you! I like your blog.