Thursday, January 28, 2016

Learning



Traditional Chinese ink painting requires letting go of precision and intent and trusting movement, suggestion, vision. It takes hours and hours, years and years -- not one 45-minute introduction -- yet I loved the opportunity to take a creative break during the day and to try.

I've thought about going down to Chinatown, or looking online, and ordering some paper, ink -- I believe I already have a brush or two from my mom's collection designed for this use. I struggle with where the line is (is there a line?) -- where exploring becomes cultural appropriation, where following along from a book or a YouTube video trivializes the teaching by a master to a student whose cultural created this art form. At that point am I honoring or invoking privilege?

Only the questions.

Chicken Blog has a photo for you today, too.

No comments: