Monday, June 30, 2008

What we can manage

It's okay if you are not impressed. I don't expect you to be, wouldn't even ask. But once again we've managed to get some food crops growing on the back deck, and it feels good. Oh sure, we do prefer to grow our own varieties from seed; we vastly prefer growing grape or cherry tomatoes and you just generally don't come across those when you buy plants. But it turns out that there are years when I can make that happen -- that seed starting thing -- and years that I can't. So this year we bought. Basil too, always. And the process of getting the plants, and the soil, and getting the pots out and getting the whole thing together before June passes us by, well, it's enough to make me impressed that we got it done. That I got it done.

Hard to say if there will be enough time for the tomatoes to make a real go of it, but the basil will be a bush before we get nighttime frosts again. And we'll have had basil on our pizza and pasta and wherever else it strikes our fancy, and just to show how rich we are in basil sometimes we'll just pluck a leaf off so we can carry it around with us and smell it.
This is the miniature railroad track around the garden, with a new "gnome-y" house put in for good measure. Oh no, it's not at our house -- it's at a big, famous, local garden center. Nice, isnt' it? We don't even aspire.

4 comments:

Donna said...

I planted basil about 3 years ago, and now have to weed it out of the garden it spread so much! Still love the pesto from it, but talk about spreading...

pikkujutut said...

I love basil -and believe or not I needed to search every where before I found one basil for me.And we are talking about country in Mediterranean. But they don't eat basil here that much, unfortunatelly.

Ps. Finally, seven weird or random done!

Lesley said...

Mmmm — basil! Just the smell of it transports me to summer.
I like that you carry around a leaf just to smell it. Perfect!

est said...

this is so wonderful!! really. we've been started to plant simple veggie in pots too :)