Saturday, May 7, 2016

Roasting

A while back, Ken bought me a bag of shelled pistachios as a treat -- without realizing that they were raw and unsalted. I kept them thinking that maybe I'd come across a recipe or something to use them in, and then finally figured out that I could probably roast and salt them myself. A revelation! So easy -- who knew? For what was probably about 2 cups of nuts, I boiled half a cup of water and about 3 teaspoons of sea salt in a saute pan and added the pistachios. I stirred over medium high heat until the water was all absorbed, then roasted them in the oven at 250 f., stirring every 30 mins, for about and hour and a half (every 30 minutes I'd taste one for doneness). Wow -- so good. I may cut back a touch on the salt next time, but I'm all about the home roasting thing now.

A photo a day over at Chicken Blog, too.