Monday, December 17, 2007

Beary Christmas


OK, here's the thing. I am just ridiculously pleased with how this polar bear came out. What the scan doesn't show you is that he is 3-dimensional -- he has 4 legs, and a gusseted head. I'd been making the dogs, as in my last post, from a pattern, and last night when I couldn't sleep, all I could think about was how to adapt the pattern to make polar bears. I'm just going to tell you right now that 2008 will be the Christmas of polar bears. This first guy, of course, is for Dean. But I am picturing them with more elaborate saddles -- all embroidered up with flowers and snowflakes and stuff. I can see putting a string through the tops to make ornaments. I am thinking about adapting the pattern for smaller and larger sizes, so I can make whole families. Polar bears everywhere. It feels good to have a plan AND a year to carry it out.

7 comments:

KristenMary said...

Awesome!! I love how your polar bear came out. Great way to adapt the pattern!

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

I love it! And what does gusseted mean? The polar bear reminds me of "Golden Compass." I feel like I could use a whole year to make up the dozens of good ideas itching my brain.

Jennifer said...

Gusseted means that instead of just having 2 flat sides that you sew together, you add a third piece (in this case, kind of an elongated teardrop shape) that runs from the nose to behind the ears, so that the head has a top piece to it (and is therefore dimensional). Does that make sense?

Yup -- this is the time of year really to store up all the ideas, and then the trick is keeping the momentum to make some stuff every month (or some approximation
thereof). Every year I have the goal, anyway....

We need to see The Golden Compass! We just rented Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Dean loved it (it was such a favorite of mine when it first came out).

Felicia said...

You should be pleased. He's adorable!

Kerry said...

What a cute polar bear! I love working with felt. I made bunnies a few years ago - must post!

happy holidays!

Anonymous said...

I have loved reading your last few posts jennifer. I LOVE your polar bear he is gorgeous and the puppy too! I hope you Ken and Dean have a wonderful safe and merry xmas. i am going to definately make that fudge and soon!!!

pikkujutut said...

I just love your polar bear, cute!

My kids liked Chitty Chitty Bang Bang as well.