Friday, January 9, 2009

Flashback Friday

To be honest, I am not entirely sure how a photo of James Whitmore came to be in my possession. This wardrobe still was for the production of The Great Diamond Robbery (a movie I haven't seen, but perhaps I should check it out). My grandfather on my dad's side was in fact a movie still photographer, but he worked in Chicago and I don't want to claim he worked on that film, but it might be the answer as to how this got tucked in with other family photos (a colleague may have given it to him?). When people hear "movie still photographer" they generally think of publicity stills that are used in advertising (and that used to go up in glass-fronted cases at the movie theater to advertise upcoming films). But wardrobe and set still photography (the work my grandfather did) was intended to keep an exact record so that actors could be dressed, and sets could be prepared, exactly as they had been during the last filming for continuity. Every detail of Mr. Whitmore's collar, and pocket handkerchief, and boutonniere had to match day-to-day as they filmed -- so stills were taken.

Meanwhile, I'm at work at my own year-in-review-in-photos that I hope to be able to post in the next few days. I'm chosing one photo per month and am chosing things that I don't believe I've posted previously, mostly as my own exercise in remembering the highlights and details of 2008. The great clean up continues around the house, although not with quite the same energy nor enthusiasm (yet). And baby, it's cold outside. Just had to say it. Our driveway is under a solid inch-plus coating of ice. I'm trying to focus on why I need the winter, on what it does for me, what it reminds me, how it shapes me. I know I'd miss it if it were gone, so I'm trying to appreciate it rather than resent it.

No comments: