Friday, March 7, 2008

Ahoy there

The 5- and 6-year-olds at our school are studying pirates. They've brainstormed their list of essential questions (are pirates real? is there such a thing as pirate treasure? did they really talk pirate-y? how did they get people to walk the gangplank without falling in the water themselves?) and are exploring pirates both real and imaginary. They've gone to see a theater production of Peter Pan, and for a few weeks now have had their self-portraits-as-pirates hanging up in the halls of the school. I was passing them every day, smiling, and only just realized that I needed to record and share a few of my particular favorites.
It gives children both incredible power and a meaningful connection to what they are studying to ask them to imagine and portray themselves through that lens.
Personally, if I had to meet a pirate face-to-face, I would most like to meet Pirate Phillip; wouldn't you?

9 comments:

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

I was all your at:
My Beard is rotting...

Poor guy his beard is right under his nose and it's Rotting!

no wonder he looks cranky.

Lesley said...

Good afternoon, Jennifer
I just caught up with all I've been missing on your blog. So many milestones - the posts about your father and your birthday and your blog anniversary and your new puppy ...
Hope you're not so busy these days that you don't have time for all the things you love to do.
Much love - and belated happy birthday! - from over here

Lesley

Lesley said...

And hey! I just checked, and we have the same start day for our blogs - and I missed my first anniversary as well!
Connection!

The Lone Beader® said...

I love child art! It always makes me smile! And, thanks for stopin by my blog today! It's always nice to make another friend from Mass. :D

Unknown said...

I bet Phillip is a very tidy child!! And quiet and probably very unobtrusively contrary!

Unknown said...

I love Captain Rotting Beard. I would hate that, too.

I have not forgotten your meme. I will do it this week, thanks so much for the challenge :)

x

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Oh yes... a kind, teeth brushing pirate, deifnitely the one to meet!

Cindy Bean said...

The Ethan rotting beard pirate reminds me of all my guy friends, always complaining.

Felicia said...

LOL I bet Phillip has the prettiest pirate teeth around :)