Saturday, June 2, 2007

Yes, ma'am

What went right today was my trip with a friend to an antiques mall, and a stack of old photos from one estate that had been carefully taken care of and were reasonably priced. I cannot walk past a collection of old photos and the mysterious stories they tell; this one says "To Cousin Lizzie from Minnie Trennam" on the back -- isn't she grand?

What didn't go well was attempting machine quilting for the first time -- just a mess. And the knowledge that my machine really is overdue for a cleaning/service doesn't help. And no where to go to put away the mess in the craft room here -- I don't even know where to begin. Maybe it's the blast of heat and humidity that's making me feel a little hopeless. But the cherry tomato seeds did germinate and Dean had fun (and didn't pass out from the heat) at his last soccer game of the season, and maybe tomorrow I can get my sewing machine back to at least working for regular stuff.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I TOO love old photos and the stories they tell, especially ones of my own family from years ago and they had died long before I was born, I wonder what their lives were like. I am going through fabric but have had a couple of 'slow' days so I won't get anything posted tomorrow!!!sorry :(

Donna Layton said...

Well, sounds frustrating. At least you got the cool old cabinet cards. I always feel a little melancholy when I see stacks of photos of unknown people. I always think...where is their family?? Doesn't anyone care about them anymore. What happened?? I'm always happy to take on these unknown people and give back the rich meaning I know once existed in their lives. I'm sure you will do the same.

Unknown said...

I think there's actually a rule that says you have to make a mess of your machine quilting - its like an initiation rite. Someday I'll post a picture of my first all chewed up attempt. Now I find it quite easy so have another go.(Easy to do adequately that is , not easy to get perfect!)