Friday, January 4, 2008

Done and done

Well. All right then! Pretty pleased with myself here, if I do say so. Set out today to baste Dean's dog quilt and to make a gift for him to bring to a birthday party and I got. both. things. done. And I even did some laundry and ran the dishwasher and folded a (very) little laundry. Ahem. Could just be the whole big start of something here. Or, rather, the whole big actually finishing things here.

So the darling little bag is the birthday gift; Dean said the person wanted "things with horses." I grabbed the horse template from Martha (when Anna Marie Horner was on!) and the reversible bag tutorial is here (a fun blog to explore with some lovely photography).

The background fabric is a richer purple than shows here ) and it needs a little more ironing....

And then Dean's doggy quilt, on which the paper-pieced dogs will look more dog-like after I quilt it and sew on the button noses. The backing fabric has some great dogs on it, and I plan to randomly quilt around the outline of some of those dogs, and to quilt paw prints and some details on the paper-pieced dogs. Having some layout problems with so many photos to show; I'll work on figuring all that out tomorrow!

6 comments:

Donna said...

you mean its possible to do what you set out to do?! maybe I should explore that as a concept... :-) nah...

Montserrat said...

The doggie quilt is soooo adorable! And, yes, thanks for pointing out my error. I have gone back to fix it now. I love how you used the horse template to personalize it for the birthday girl.

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

This is so inspiring. I love the horse bag and I love the dog quilt + the quilting plan. I am going to check out the bag tutorial... right after I fold (very little) laundry.

Lesley said...

Oh, they are both wonderful! Well done. I'm still loving your having that camera!
I think the doggy quilt is such a winner - when I first saw this post, I thought it was some striking Japanese design, but then the dogs' faces appeared and it's just brilliant.

KristenMary said...

Fabulous accomplishments!!! I absolutely love the horse purse and the pieced Dogs are adorable. I bet Dean is going to absolutely love the quilt. 3 cheers for completing projects!! :-D

Felicia said...

That doggy quilt is stealing the show! But the horsey bag is completely adorable too :)