Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Welcome to Narnia


Ten new inches of snow yesterday, the marshmallow kind that comes down wet, heavy, and sticks to everything. Enough to keep us all home for the day which, if it IS going to snow, is the kind we like best. I heard on a weather report yesterday that our area gets an "average" of 15" of snow annually and that we're already at nearly 40". What's incredibly deceptive about that average statistic (and kinda why I so dislike/distrust statistics) is that our winters are really feast or famine in terms of snow; we gotten more than 100" in the recent past, and then have also gotten something like 5" total for the season. So it's not a matter of a little more than a foot of snow most years, which is what the average makes you think.

My little test for finding out what your experience has been with this kind of weather is to ask what you first think when you see snow like this. People who are used to it would first wonder if we lost power -- the kind of snow that sticks to and pulls over trees usually means electric wires go down. These are the kind of people who can appreciate the beauty after knowing that we did not, thankfully, lose power (though we kept our heat up a little higher than usual, just in case). When we lose power we lose everything: water (ours comes into our house via an electric well pump), heat (our oil furnace runs on electrically powered thermostats), the ability to cook (electric stove). The snow looks just as beautiful to me today, given that we've got power....

Thanks for all the button help! I'll work on that this week.

8 comments:

Donna said...

never really thought that there was a mindset for snow but you're right -- I looked at your picture and thought -- thankfully they have power (you're posting), wind must have not come up... then Hope they don't have a car to dig out! The prairies of Canada have taught me something....

KristenMary said...

Snow like that really is wonderful when you have the freedom to not go out in it. :-) Living in Minneapolis we've gotten a lot of snow this year too. I'm getting out of shoveling this year since I'm pregnant but I think my first thought when I saw that snow was both "I hope they have a snowblower!" and I also think about how quiet it probably is. Even in the city a deep snow like that makes everything a little quieter. I love that.

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

I am with Kristenmary, thinking about the hush. I love snow quiet. I figured you must have power since you got to post, which I am very happy about. Oh, it looks so beautiful. Is that your garden?

Jennifer said...

It's true -- snow brings a beautiful silence, and you can even hear snow falling, which is one of my favorite things to hear (you have to be outside, in it, to hear it). Yes, that top photo is our back garden -- at one time we grew vegetables there but we have since turned it over to Dean, and he grows mostly flowers and herbs.

jess said...

After over 9 ft of snow piled in front of my house last year, I could do without snow ever again....to bad we live in the Rocky Mountains! Your snow looks pretty though!

Sam I Am said...

dear jennifer..
thank you so much for stopping by my blog today and sending your hugs :) They are very much needed today..

your snow pictures are amazing..and i am totally JEALOUS and want to be in your winter wonderland!!! it really does look like narnia!!!
xoxo
sam

Lesley said...

My first feelings (when I see snow like you've photographed) are of childhood, my blissfully happy childhood in England, where I lived until I was 16.
I've never lived in snow as an adult. When I was 16 my family moved to Australia, and I've been in San Diego for two years.
So my snow memories are all wonderful, free of any associations with snow blowers and sweeping and losing power.
I went to Chicago last March, all excited about seeing snow for the first time in 33 years. It nearly bloody killed me! I don't know how anyone can cope with it!
But, yes, it does look amazing ...

(You haven't posted for a couple of days, Jennifer: hope you're still warm and okay!)

calamitykim said...

I miss the snow! That is so lovely! I think its really cold here- like maybe 48 here now. LOL! I was wondering if you would do me a favor and check out my listing at eBay- Fred and I were working on it forever and then I just got an email and they said that the background was too busy and made it hard to read. I am near to tears. I don't understand why someone just "had" to tell me that! It hurt my feelings. anyway, whatever. I was so proud to have gotten it listed with that fancy template... I am almost finished with my Magazine stuff and your dear apron is sooooo over due to be next- along with a chicken purse I had hoped to finish for Maria. Geez Louise. Thank you for your infinite patience. I am going to make a cup of tea. Love to you and yours, oh,, the calamity!