Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Depths of kindness

Yesterday morning, writing about my dad, I struggled to think what I needed from the day -- the tenth anniversary of his death. It's hard every year to know what to do, how to mark the day, even though in all honesty I do think about him every day.

At his request, I'd scattered his ashes in the Gulf of Mexico, just off Siesta Key, Florida where he lived the last years of his life. Yesterday I thought, "if only I could scatter some flowers in the water down there." And then I realized that I do in fact know someone who lives near Siesta Key, someone who would understand.
And so I wrote Kim an email, asking such a big favor.

And she did this for me. She gathered a whole basket of beautiful Florida garden flowers, she went down to the water -- even her husband Fred went along to help take pictures -- and she let my memories and sadness and celebration and love float out on the water.

I will forever be in awe of this kindness. I sit here struggling with words -- how can I express this? How hopeful and amazing that perhaps we really never can know the depth of kindness in the world. Thank you, Kim.

5 comments:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

Kim is the kindest soul.
I was at a loss for words as well, and could not think of how to express the sadness I share with you, the tender regard I feel for your loss, and even our own loss, since yesterday marked the first anniversary of my father-in-law's passing...
And now this gesture of Kim's has the same *speechless* effect. My first reaction was: Of course! of course Kim would be there and of course she would manage something beautiful... It's just like her.
(((H
ugs))) to both of you, and thank goodness for kindred spirits and love.

Sam I Am said...

What a beautiful way to honor your dad...and what a beautiful friend that helped do this for you :) :) :)

Laura Jane said...

She's a good egg, that Kim.

What a great idea, and an ideal way to remember your Dad.

thanks for sharing with us

X

calamity kim said...

my pleasure.

one of my favorite quotes is:

If I had a flower for every time I thought of you, I could walk in my garden forever. Tennyson.
xo, kim

You can call me Betty, or Bethany, or Beth ...Just don't call me late for dinner. said...

Kim is a treasure isn't she?