Monday, February 2, 2009

In memory, Daddy-ola

My dad and me, May 27, 1989

He would have had something funny to say about the fact that he died on Groundhog's Day; he was just that kind of guy. He died 10 years ago today. The pain doesn't go away, it just changes. I think, "how can he possibly not have been a part of the last 10 years?" I take huge comfort in Dean's having been born before he died, so that my dad could know about him. And he was very happy that I married Ken.

I just thought of something -- I know someone who might be able to drop a flower into the Gulf of Mexico today, where we scattered his ashes. This makes me teary and it also makes me feel better, to think of it.

1 comment:

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

So many emotions evoked...
Too many to do justice in a comment.
You look so beautiful, so happy.
Thank goodness for dear memories.
You are in my thoughts, with tenderness and warmth.