Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Fixes

I realize that it probably sounded pretty weird.

I write on February 1st that I love the month, and then the very next day I'm writing about the anniversary of my dad's death. Huh? Well, February does have other things to recommend it, like my birthday and Valentine's Day, and even Groundhog's Day even though the day changed for me. And I probably can't say this in a way that makes sense, but that I can tuck my dad's death into a quiet, reflective, and otherwise positive month has somehow helped all these years. So there you go. Plus I'm just the kind of person who's going to go out of her way to want a love a month that so many other people profess to hate.

Onward.

If you've ever seen the owls over at Moonstitches, you've probably fallen in love with them too.

I've always respected her for not posting the pattern (since she got it out of a book), and never felt quite up to the challenge of trying to make my own pattern (even though she gently tried to show that path). Imagine my delight, then, when paging through one of my own Japanese craft books for the hundredth time and finally noticing -- ho-HO! -- the owl pattern! For reasons that will never be clear to me, I chose to "follow" the Japanese instructions rather than paging through her "Tutowlrial" (seriously, I don't know what I'm thinking half the time) and one result was needing a do-over on eye placement since I put them in his ears first time 'round. Next time, I'm using her instructions. And a next time there will be, and lots more after that. I love these guys. Don't tell Dean but he's getting one for Valentine's Day. And don't tell yourself that you just might be getting one or a flock for Christmas.

3 comments:

Kym said...

Those owls are something on my very long to-do list, although I'll be winging it without a pattern. He's a little cutie.

Natalie, the Chickenblogger said...

I like this post... your February point of view makes sense, your owl is adorable, Dean looks industrious... oh, wait that was the last post... well, I liked that post too, come to think of it.

Gina said...

He ( or is it she) is cute.

Love and hugs Gina xxx